NESTRA is the acronym for "Netherlands Expert Group for Sustainable TRAnsport and Logistics" and is a member of the STC-Group. NESTRA was founded on 30th of April 2014. It has four experts on sustainable transport and logistics: René Meeuws, Harrie de Leijer, Sandra van Putten and Richard van Liere.
NESTRA provides high-level consultancy and applied research services in the field of sustainable transport and logistics. NESTRA aims on servicing public and private organisations on national and international level such as Ministries of Transport, European Commission, Asian Development Bank, World bank or UNESCAP. The experts within NESTRA have an extensive experience in the following activities:
• Analysis, development and evaluation of policies and regulations (e.g. impact assessments) for the transport and logistics sector including public-private partnerships and institutional development. Within the area of transport and logistics, main areas of expertise of NESTRA are transport by inland waterways, road transport, multimodal transport and trade and transport development.
• Dissemination, training and technical assistance on the strengthening and enhanced professionalism on transport and logistics within and abroad Europe with a wide experience in countries such as China, Brazil, Indonesia, Colombia, Mozambique, Jordan and Central Asia.
• Project management and coordination of international consortia working on assignments such as consultancy, research and development and training and matchmaking projects.
The STC-Group provides training and consultancy services for shipping, transport and (process) industry worldwide. In the public domain, the STC-Group achieves this by providing vocational education at various levels. In the private domain, it does so by offering a recognized Master’s programme, certified training and education, applied research and consultancy. STC-Group headquarter is based in Rotterdam and STC Group also has various branches and activities around the world such as Korea, Vietnam, South Africa, Philippines, Mozambique, Brazil, Indonesia, Colombia and Oman.
Moreover, an overview of the type of consultancy activities provided by NESTRA is the following:
• Support for the definition of sustainable transport policy, planning and programming;
• Trade and transport facilitation policy and studies
• Monitoring and measuring performance of national and international transport corridors
• Formulation of national logistics policy
• Studies of national logistics costs
• Development of national sustainable transport strategies, particularly in rural areas;
• Definition of the roles of public and private actors in the transport sector, development of the appropriate regulatory framework and recommendation of public-private partnership mechanisms;
• Organization of the transport sector;
• Role and organization of the ministries in charge of transport;
• Support for the institutional capacity building of transport and logistics regulatory agencies;
• Development and implementation of training programs intended for public and private actors in transport and logistics sector;
• Technical support to Road Maintenance Funds with a view to improved road markets management;
• Transport sector programs;
• Feasibility studies on structural adjustment programs intended to enable transport sector reforms;
• Feasibility studies on transport network structuring projects;
• Evaluation of the link between transport and poverty to improve the efficiency of sectoral interventions;
• Strategic environmental assessment of transport sector programs;
• Technical assistance to the administrations responsible for the implementation of transport sector programs.
Although STC-NESTRA is still a young company, the partners have a long history and track record in the field of freight transport. STC-NESTRA is a joint venture between STC Group Holding and a number of individual experts formerly working at Panteia/NEA. These experts have been involved in freight transport projects around the world in European countries, Asia, Africa and Latin America.
The extensive network of clients is the result of several years of experience and high-quality work.
Complementary and synergetic work is carried out between STC NESTRA and its major strategic partners.